Ursula Melinz joined Soloway Wright in 2000 as an Articling student and continued in 2002 as a municipal lawyer in Ottawa.
613-236-0111, ext. 2048
Ursula Melinz joined Soloway Wright in 2000 as an Articling student and continued in 2002 as a municipal lawyer in Ottawa. As a member of our Municipal, Land Development & Expropriation, Ursula advises and represents a full range of clients in eastern Ontario including developers, municipalities, associations, businesses and individual homeowners.
Ursula assists clients in pursuing site-specific development matters in addition to broad policy issues. She has extensive experience in taking raw land through the development approval process to obtain subdivision, site plan or development approval so that construction may proceed. This includes consents, minor variances, strata severances and associated development issues. Ursula also has extensive experience in development charge matters, development dedications or levies (such as parkland dedication), environmental protection matters and whole scale re-writes of official plans and zoning by-laws.
Ursula routinely works with many developers in Ottawa and Eastern Ontario. She is also the administrator for several community development areas or landowner groups. These duties include writing and administering agreements for groups of landowners.
She frequently appears before Municipal Committees and Councils, the Ontario Municipal Board and the Board of Negotiation on behalf of clients. She has also appeared before the Ontario Division Court for expropriation matters
Ursula is also very experienced in expropriation matters particularly related to landowners or tenants that have been expropriated. She has represented parties expropriated by all levels of Government including the Ministry of Transportation and the City of Ottawa (for example, road widenings or for the purpose of the Light Rail transit projects). She works to ensure parties receive full and fair compensation for expropriation takings whether through settlement negotiations or hearings.
Outside of work, Ursula continues to actively explore the City in her personal pursuits. She enjoys spending time with her very active children and being outdoors.
Year of Call to Bar
- LLB, University of Ottawa (2000)
- Hons. Soc.Sc. & FLS, University of Ottawa (1996)
English and French
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Greater Ottawa Home Builders Association
- Lambda Alpha International (Ottawa Chapter)
- Ontario Expropriation Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Community Activities & Memberships
- Cross Country Ski coach Nakkertok Ski Club
- A certified coach with Cross Country Ski Canada
- Community Soccer coach
- Enjoys outdoor activities, cross country skiing, cycling, running and yoga
Conferences, Publications, Presentations, & Seminars
- University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Facility, teaching the Municipal and Planning Law course to students (2003 to 2007)
- Montebello Solicitor’s Conference May 2010 and 2013
Review list of Publications.
- Fernbank Landowners Group
- Suburban subdivision approval projects
- City of Ottawa LRT Expropriations – representing owners & tenants
- City of Ottawa road widenings (expropriation or acquisition)
- MTO expropriations