Tara Sweeney joined Soloway Wright in 2000 as a civil litigation lawyer in Ottawa.
Tara M. Sweeney
Personal Injury, Insurance Law, Medical Malpractice
613-236-0111, ext. 2111
613-236-0111, ext. 2043
Tara Sweeney joined Soloway Wright in 2000 as a civil litigation lawyer in Ottawa. Tara specializes in Personal Injury, Accident Benefits, Medical Malpractice, Insurance Law and Health Law. Tara has a special interest in traumatic/acquired brain injury (neurolaw) and obstetrical negligence (birth injuries). Tara has appeared before the Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court of Ontario, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal and various administrative tribunals, including professional colleges, both Federal and Provincial.
Tara has been accepted by the Superior Court of Justice as an expert in Plaintiff’s personal injury and Statutory Accident Benefits litigation (see Meehan v. Good (2012), ONSC 612).
Year of Call to Bar
- LLB, University of Windsor (1998)
- M.A., University of Western Ontario (1995)
- B.S.Sc. (Hons), University of Ottawa (1994)
Awards & Recognitions
- Paroain, Raphael, Courey, Cohen & Houston Insurance Law Award
- Nelligan Power Trial Advocacy Award
Professional Activities & Memberships
Tara is a member of the County of Carleton Law Association, Advocate's Society, Women and the Law, and the Canadian Bar Association. She is also currently a member of the CPD Accreditation Committee with the CCLA. Tara is also the past secretary/treasurer of the Medical Legal Society of Ottawa-Carleton, a past member of the Lawyer Play Committee, and past board member of Epilepsy Ottawa-Carleton.
Tara is the past Chair of the Advocates' Society Annual Honouree dinner (now John Nelligan Award) and has also presented for the Advocates' Society, the Law Society of Upper Canada (now Law Society of Ontario) and the Chateau Montebello/Trembello Continuing Legal Education conference.
Tara is currently on the Board of Directors of the Advocates' Society.
Conferences, Publications, Presentations, & Seminars
- The Oatley McLeish Guide to Motor Vehicle Litigation - Update on Costs (LSUC)
- Pointed Appeal: Distilling it Down to the Key Issues (The Advocate’s Society)
- Perils of Suing the Crown (CCLA Conference)
- Expert Witnesses (The Advocate’s Society)
- SABS, Experts and Preparing a Winning File: A Personal Injury Primer (OBA)
- Summary Judgments (CCLA)
- Adverse and Hostile Witnesses (CCLA)
- Women Lawyer’s Symposium - Fundamentals of the 3Ms: Mentors, Mentees and Mentoring (LSUC)
- Building your Team through Effective Feedback and Mentoring (CBA)
Cases & Transactions
- Andeejani v. Radiology Associates Kingston (SCJ, 2003)
- Pack All Manufacturing Inc. v. Triad Plastics Inc. (SCJ, 2001)
- McNevan v. Agrico Canada Limited (Ont. C.A., 2011)
- Carleton Condominium Corp. No.21 v. Minto Construction Ltd (S.C.J. 2001, C.A., 2004)
- Mehdi-Pour v. Minto Developments Inc. (Div. Ct. 2011)
- Savage v. Belecque (C.A., 2012)
- Lurtz v. Duchesne (S.C.J., 2003)
- Spezzano v. Spezzano (S.C.J., 2002)
- Mehdi-Pour v. Minto (S.C.J., 2010)
- Lacroix v. Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (C.A., 2012)
- Outaouais Synergest Inc. v. Lang Michener LLP (C.A., 2013)